SoapZone Community Message Board

My responses to your thoughts on this awesome show….

From: Kitchop Find all posts by Kitchop View Kitchop's profile Send private message to Kitchop
Date: Mon, 15-Apr-2024 2:58:53 PM PDT
Where: SoapZone Community Message Board
In topic: 👀 Thursday, Friday & Weekend TV Post 📺📺 posted by Leia
I didn't think the writing did a good job of setting up EvilDany. They really should have started sooner, not waited until the final season to be like "Bitches be crazy!".

I feel like it started more gradually when she first freed the slaves, including Greyworm and Messendrei, and found out pretty quickly that it wasn’t going to turn into a perfect world instantly. Although she constantly talked about making a better world, at the same time, it was always clear that she would do anything to get the Iron Throne. I liked Dani but, ultimately, she wanted that power too much, more than anything. She became obsessed with it and started to believe that she alone needed absolute power over the whole world to make it a better place. She was a good person with a huge fatal flaw. And power and the obsessive pursuit of power corrupts.

🦇 Jon is reunited with Ghost, Tormund and the free folk

I loved that ending for Jon. Living among the free folk beyond the wall really felt like where he belonged. I know that some people wanted him to be king. But he didn’t want to be king, which likely means that he would have been a good king.
That I liked. It suited him.

🦇 Drogon was smart enough to destroy the Iron Throne

I listened to a podcast who had this great, funny debate about if Drogon actually understood symbolism and got that the Throne "killed" Dany or if he was was just like "Mom has pointy thing in her chest, chair has pointy thing, chair killed Mom?" 🤣🤣

LOL, I’m on the side of feeling like Drogon was the smartest one in the room; smarter than all the humans. I think he knew that the pursuit of that throne was what killed Dani. I do wonder where Drogon took Dani’s body. I guess east/home?

🦇 They abandoned birthright to the throne and changed to choosing their king or queen instead. Baby step in the right direction.

Yeah but the cynic in me thinks it's just another doomed to fail attempt because what stops villainous people from still taking power after Bran is gone? They could bride or threaten or ally themselves into the position. Maybe Bran, as the 3-Eyed Raven, will leave a list of his successors but that would go against the whole "we pick our King" thing they agreed to.

Like I said, baby step. At least a Joffrey won’t be king in the future solely by birthright. I loved that Sam suggested letting the people choose their king and the inner circle laughed at him. But, at least, it’s not automatically by birthright anymore. And as we know all too well here in the US, even when the people choose, we don’t always choose well.

🦇 Brienne updating Jaime’s entry in the book of knights, adding some of the good things he did.

Ugh, Jaime. What a waste of such great character growth. He broke free of his evil sister, I'll always believed he had genuine feelings for Brienne, he put the safety of the realm first, was becoming a truly good man...only to change his mind at the last minute and go running back to Cersei. Haaatttteeeed it.

Jaimie was an interesting character. I loved his relationships with Brienne and Tyrion. He was a decent man with a fatal flaw — his addiction to Cersie. It was sad but I bought it.

🦇 Arya going off to explore, pioneer, have adventures seeing what’s west of west
🦇 Sam fast-tracking to Grand Meister and being part of King Bran’s small council.
🦇 in general, I liked who became members of his small council, including Brienne and Davos.
🦇 Tyrion lived to become another ruler’s Hand of the King.

I liked those things.

They were all favorite characters of mine, as were Jon and Dani. Of these characters, Dani is the only one who didn’t get a happy ending.
🦇 Queen Sansa kept the North independent

This doesn't add up because why wouldn't all the other Wardens suddenly demand the same for themselves? Yara was all about becoming Queen of the Iron Isles only to just forget it and fold back in with the others.

I agree with this. It’s confusing. Why didn’t others demand independence?

🦇 Grey Worm sailing off to the isle of Naath

I also felt like a hatchet job was done on Grey Worm at the end. That he just goes all blood thirsty murderer and kills innocent civilians and also kills POWs. It was too far, IMO.

I loved Greyworm. I think he just didn’t know what to do with all his grief and rage over the way Messendrei died. So he channeled it into serving Dani.

Overall, I loved this show and am going to miss it. Do you think when/if the next two books come out, GRRM will have changed any of the series’ ending? Or were D&D working off GRRM’s outline so the books will go the same way?

I’m sorry it took me this long to respond to you.

No replies, 37 views
generated page in 0.018 seconds using 9 database requests (no reply links)
Message archived, no new replies.
back to topic list